Yesterday we learned the benefits of scaling this project up to such an immense and manic proportion right out of the gate. When an insurmountable hurdle arises – such as a mystery illness that is part flu, part bronchial, and fully debilitating – we can scale things back for a few days, rather than shut off the lights completely. We missed some key celebrations yesterday, but there is no way in unholy Fucktown that we are recusing ourselves from National Margarita Day.
Over the next few days we may find ourselves posting a bit less, and paying homage to fewer celebrations. Jodie is still revving in top gear, but given that I (Marty) am the one who handles most of the social media and all of the writing, it’s going to take a night in which I actually fall asleep for more than 2 hours before I can return to full revelry. That will be a day to celebrate.
So bear with us and keep the party going. Some events it looks like we’re skipping may show up a few days late. But we’re still in it to carouse our way through 2020.
Random Acts of Kindness Week
We spent much of yesterday running our usual chores, which likely didn’t assist in my recovery one bit. But we got to take part in Random Acts of Kindness Week (the Acts of Kindness Day, if you’ll recall, was last Monday), and do something I’ve always wanted to do. We rode through the McDonalds drive-thru for lunch and paid for the vehicle behind us. This is a pay-it-forward kindness that I’ve heard about for years but never experienced.
The good news: his total was only $6.57. We were fortunate not to be in front of a mini-van full of hungry children. The weird news: he paid it forward immediately, running his debit card through the machine, most likely for whomever was behind him. Either that or McDonalds ripped us both off and charged him twice. The optimist in us will believe the former.
Today will be an attempt to catch up on a couple items from yesterday that we didn’t get to. The margaritas can wait until I can appreciate them. Here’s what’s on our schedule if we’re feeling up to it:
- National Banana Bread Day. Our team baker (known more familiarly as my mom) has this one under control for us.
- National Dog Biscuit Day. I’m sure I’ll be able to muster up the strength to feed my dogs treats today. If ever I’m too sick to do that, things aren’t good.
- Kalevala Day. A day to honour Finland’s national poem. To celebrate, we’ll learn what that is.
- Curling Is Cool Day. Quite possibly the least exciting sport to watch on TV, we will try to watch some. I’m sure there’s some bonspiel or something going on. And what the hell is a bonspiel? Just call it a game.
- Meteni. Who doesn’t love a good Latvian spring festival? Eat and drink as much as you want – that’s what my research told me to do. Since I have almost no appetite, this should be easy.
- Single-Tasking Day. No multi-tasking all day. One thing at a time. We’ll be lucky if I can even do that.